Friday, June 3, 2011

some thoughts and a Jai Guru Deva, Om translation

When I feel the most content in my life I notice it in my foundation-- like it feels stronger. I remember in New York six months ago laying on my blow up mattress on Monroe St. in Brooklyn, and all that was going through my mind as energy ran up and down the channels of my body was "Nothing's going to change my world," several thoughts ensued afterward securing the revelation that where I was inside myself at that point was so strong, and that the path the universe had for me was unfolding perfectly and any detour would be to teach me, and to strengthen whatever part of me that still needed strengthening-- It was like nothing could shake my security, I guess I felt untouchable. Anyways, I was listening to the Beatles Across the Universe tonight and it made me think of that night. It's funny that those song lyrics are in the same wording my brain was using, maybe it was subconscious recall. I don't feel as strong as I did then, but everything passes and I will again.
                                                                                                    - P.Leigh


Across the Universe
By The Beatles (1969)


Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind,
Possessing and caressing me.


Jai guru deva, om
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on across the universe,
Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box
They tumble blindly as they make their way
Across the universe


Jai guru deva, om,

Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Sounds of laughter shades of life are ringing
Through my opened ears inciting and inviting me
Limitless undying Love which shines around me like a
million suns, and calls me on and on
Across the universe


Jai guru deva, om,
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world.


Jai guru deva
Jai guru deva
Jai guru deva

Jai guru deva




"Jai guru deva, om"

It's interesting translating Sanskrit to English, it seems impossible for the original intended meaning to transmigrate between the two tongues. I guess we face this with all translations, it just seems more important in my opinion when translating a mantra or a prayer, that's probably why there are so many different versions of various 'sacred' texts. 

--Jai is translated by some to mean --Victory and others -- I give Hope or Thanks to-

--Guru Deva is Guru DevGuru Dev was Maharishi's teacher-- Maharishi is the Guru who developed Transcendental Meditation

--Om--- well we should all know what that is, the universal sound, the beginning of creation, a uniting vibration...and so on and so forth. 

No comments: