Saturday, April 2, 2011

Art show at ShutNYC-- and I'm so drunk I don't even think I can read...

When I was living in New York this past November, my friend Alicia and I went to our friend Mike's skate shop, Shut NYC, for a kind of art show that I guess was designed with a school charity in mind. It makes sense that the bag Mike gave me says Thanks for Learning with Us... And so inside this bag there were all these little goodies but I was way to sauced to care to investigate any further, at one point we got a hold of some side walk chalk and stumbled down the street marking arbitrarily. I forgot that I and a few undisclosed persons lifted some paint pens from a desk at the party,   I put one in side my jeans and didn't find out until the morning when it was lovingly smeared against my skin, we had been using sidewalk chalk all night, ha waste...



Anyways, when I scoped out the inside of the bag of goodies the next morning I found some pencils, an eraser or two, two little cut-out erectable cardboard schools (they even came with a little cardboard flags, I know I made it twice) and then at the bottom there were these two little cards, they looked like gift cards, in black they said 5$ in the corner, this card also told you what the next step was which led to the internet, which leads to a whole big mess of signing up accounts, making passwords, and all of this for a $5 bill which is not even an actual bill...it may be sent in the form of an iTunes song or some facebook points bullshit, (no I don't want to buy points on your social network so you can send my friend a fake fucking cake) or maybe it will sign you up for a lifetime of telemarketer intrusions. I tossed 'em.

 During an unscheduled break in my hangover's destruction of my memory I remembered things from the blurred past, specifically the photo session we had at the shop the night before. The psuedo-set the photographer had sectioned off was right next to the open bar. There were a bunch of props like these big stuffed crayola crayons, and a little black board with magnetic letters. So I remember this and finally a spark ignites in my brain that this whole shebang was for charity. yup, it took that long...

I grab the little cards and go online and fill out all the bull shit, and the little website says thank you and tells me I'm awesome. SO tonight, four months later, I received two emails from these teachers at two different schools in the midwest thanking me for sending them calculators...I think they want me to be pen pals with their students. yikes. Imagine being in class as a kid and everyone having to write  someone a letter thanking them for helping out with our bake sale, or field trip etc. Now imagine being the persons mailbox unexpectedly getting dropped 60 letters, I'm not trying to be that person, this mailbox isn't even mine... it's my roommate's. And she doesn't want to be bothered.

Ha anyways, the point of this nonsense is that IF I almost threw those cards away, then I'm sure a lot of other people actually did. I remember seeing a couple tossed non-chalantly on ledges throughout the store, some acting like interim drink coasters. After seeing that somebody was tangibly helped by my two minutes of typing, it made me sad to think about all the ones that got tossed aside un.utilized.... um yeahhhh so that's all

No comments: